MORE ABOUT ME…

My name is Tim Patterson. I am a husband, father, Southern Baptist Minister, and Network Administrator/Engineer. I currently work at North Greenville University in Tigerville, SC. Erin is my wife and Veronica my daughter is just something special. I like reading, discussing theology, photography, sports, and being a couch potato when time permits.

Why Apparent Contradictions?

I have based a large part of my life on the premise that two statements that contradict one another cannot both be true. I am also aware that I sometimes live a life that seems inconsistent with this belief. Often times this creates apparent contradictions. I am now inviting you to be apart of them.

Tales from the Laundry Room

It was a dark and stormy afternoon. I decided to pass the time by trying to get a load or two of laundry finished. I started a load of towels and let them soak for a little while. A short time after that I went to start the load. A few seconds later the plastic coupler that engages the engine to the transmission is snapped into three separate pieces. I immediately start looking to my trusty friend Google for a repair man and find a beacon of hope in someone who will answer my call at 3:45 on a Friday.

On Saturday the hero calls and tells me he will be at my house before 12:00 pm. I await his arrival. At 1:00 I call the hero of my tale and inquire to find out "Where the heck are you at"? Little did I know that to have to call the hero back and find out if he is still coming is worse forshadowing than the spooky music or the sound of the smoke monster coming toward you on LOST.

At 2:30 the hero arrives. He proceeds to take my washer apart and show me the broken coupler. He goes to his truck and returns with a replacement and proceeds to hammer it onto the transmission for my washing machine. This is not a good sign from the hero as it is merely supposed to slip onto the spindle of the transmission. The hero then slaps the thing back together and attempts to start the washer. Now however the transmission has seized and will turn. The hero confesses that he is puzzled as it was working before he hammered the part onto the washer. He then turns to me and tells me the transmission is now broken and that it will cost almost $300 to replace. I quickly realize that he is not the hero but the man in black trying to escape my island paradise with my money. He proceeds to charge me $60 for the privilege of having him break my washer and then bolts from my house as quickly as possible.

I finally get to inspect my washing machine and find that the transmission is now totally seized and that the equipment is now in significantly worse shape than before. I call the repair man confront him about the state of this "repair" and he proceeds to raise his voice and yell at me with each question about how this could have happened.

In the end I realize my hero is a bad person that has just taken me for my money and left me a $500+ bill to buy a replacement washing machine. Please learn from my folly. If you are in the Greenville Spartanburg area of South Carolina and need a repair do not look for your hero at Benson Refrigerator and Appliance Repair. The cost is simply to high. Your island is better off without the mystical touch of this bad man.

The End...

2 comments:

  1. Erin said...
     

    I LOVE your LOST references! :) I wonder how that guy sleeps at night. Where's the shout out for the wife who found the awesome deal on the new washer (just kidding!)

  2. Edie Mindell said...
     

    Ah, bad hero. He absolutely wrecked your washer instead of repairing it. Now, you have more damage than before. Thanks for the tip. I will never dial their number in case my washer breaks down.:-)

Post a Comment



 

Sunset on Halloween 08 from NGU

Anderson Mill

Veronica in the Leaves

Butterfly

Dragon Fly

Sailboat Passing the Cooper River Bridge

Bald Eagle

Early in the Morning